Monday, April 13, 2009

On Writing Full Time

One of the first things I've done was to consider what I'm really good at and what I enjoy doing. I know I do considerably well with writing but have never considered going into full time writing. However, writing gives me an outlet with which to express myself. There are just so many thoughts in my mind all the time that writing is much like a brain dump to me. If I don't write down my thoughts, they're just floating around in my mind. When thoughts are floating unattended in there, new thoughts and ideas just can't come in.

Since hubby was in the US, I've already read intermittently about people earning money online through writing or blogging. I was curious about this but never took it as seriously as I should have. However, this did lead me to open my very first blog with Multiply. Multiply gave me my first taste in blogging, uploading photos and videos, etc. This is where I first learned that I can do it.

Last year, I applied to become a homeschool product reviewer for a magazine in the USA. I did not really think that I'd make it since they said that there are over 800 applicants for only 100 spots. Fortunately, I'd been accepted to become one out of the 100. I believe this meant that my writing is good enough for this magazine. So on I became a product reviewer and blogged my reviews in my Multiply site.

A few months after that I attended a homeschool conference with over a thousand people. Imagine my surprise when some people would stop me and say that they've been reading my blog and appreciated my reviews. Some even went on to say that they were so encouraged by my blogs and would forward it to friends. Wow! Then this must mean that my blogs are good. The seed that was planted in my heart some years ago is now being watered and growing.

I still was not that convinced because I kept putting off creating a new blog. You see, on Multiply, you can't apply Google Adsense in your site. So there's no hope of monetizing my blog there. Although, I would highly recommend Multiply for its ease of use and privacy.

What solidified my decision to open up this blog was our need to make money. For me, working outside the home was not an option. I really, really love being able to stay home with my kids. Teaching them at home is important to our family. The option that I had for me was to find work that I can do from home.

Writing for my own blog is one of the things that I'm doing now to earn. There's no earnings yet since I've just started but, hopefully, one day soon, I'll see the money coming in.

5 comments:

  1. hi michelle! it's awesome that you're pursuing your blog and reaching many people with your words. i want to encourage you in this endeavor and wish you much blessing as you continue homeschooling. chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new blog is lovely Michelle. May God bless your endeavors for your family.

    April (TOS Crew)
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/elcloud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog and an inspiring article...blessings and good luck to you and your family. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi...thanks for sharing. Btw, there are lots of opportunities for online writers..you can check them out. Best regards to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment and encouragement JC. I only wish that you had left a way for me to contact you. Take Care!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Search Here